BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 16, 2013

Our Future Stunt Woman???

Jeremy and I experienced the mother of all fears of raising a mobile infant...STAIRS!!   When Riley was a baby, we didn't have to deal with stairs.  Well, with Avery we not only have one set of stairs to be cautious of, but 2.  

This past Saturday, Jeremy and I were planning a lunch date, just us.  I took a shower and then went upstairs with Avery while Jeremy jumped in the shower.  I brought Avery into our room and shut the door - as usual. On this particular day with  no extra thought, I opened the door and Avery BOOKED IT!!!  There was no stopping her and just as she reached the top of the steps faster than I could.  I was able to do nothing but stand there and watch her take the ultimate tumble...DOWN.EVERY.SINGLE.STEP!

Devastating doesn't even begin to describe it.  First off, shame on me for not having a gate at the top of the stairs.  Second, shame on me for not carrying her and worst of all lastly, I hated that I could do nothing about it as it was happening.

She hit bottom of the steps and laid there crying...a good sign.  We called 911 because after a fall like that, you never know.  The response was so quick and before I knew it, we were on our way to the Pediatric ER at Upstate.  

We were more than lucky that Avery does not have even ONE bruise to show for her fall - no broken bones, no nothing!  I always knew that Avery was going to be more of the physically dominant child, but certainly this was not the way I wanted it to be proven!

Needless to say, Avery will not be going upstairs any time soon and mommy and daddy will be looking into gating options.  I am grateful that our little girl could sustain the fall - but I have learned the greatest lesson of all about keeping my little one safe.  



1 comments:

gramps said...

avery I am glad that you are ok and I know first hand what mommy means thank god everything turned out ok miss and love you to the moon and back etc.:)