BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A,B,C it's easy as 1,2,3...or is it??

With Riley transitioning into the pre-school room at daycare I decided to sit down with her a few weeks ago to see just how many letters she would be able to identify. I randomly went through capital and lower case letters with her on the chalkboard. She was able to identify 19/26 capital letters and 16/26 lower case letters.

Then the panic set in!!

I was worried that she would be the only 3-year-old in pre-school that couldn't identify all of her letters. I mean I didn't even know if she SHOULD be able to recognize all of her letters. I figured it was time to go out and get some flashcards.

Thank goodness for the $1 spot at Target. I was able to get cheap flashcards for letters and numbers. It was on to studying from that point forward.

Two weeks later, Riley can now identify 26/26 capital letters and 21/26 lower case letters. She struggles with b, d, g, h, and n. So I say it's been a successful study session over the past 2 weeks. But my vow is that by the time August 23rd rolls around and she is OFFICIALLY a pre-schooler she WILL know all of her lower case letters!!!




As I sat down to write this blog I decided to do a little research to see when a child should be able to recognize letters and according to babycenter.com (which is a site that I tend to use to gauge where Riley should be developmentally) they say:


"Most children begin recognizing some letters between the ages of 2 and 3 and can identify most letters between 4 and 5. This means that you can start teaching your child the alphabet when he's around 2 - but don't expect full mastery for some time."


While this makes me feel better, I don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. If she remains interested I am going to keep moving along!!


Up next - WRITING her name!!!! Hahahahaha - Just kidding. I'll be happy with her just knowing all the letters!

3 comments:

gramps. said...

Tell mommy it's summer vacation and all your supposed to be studying is how to have fun. And you don't need flash cards for that

Aunt Laurie said...

I agree with Gramps!! Mommy Dearest, chill out with the flash cards. We already know Riley's smart :)

juh-juh said...

Riley, you are smarter than most 5 years, I am positive you will know all of your letters, both capital & lower case by the time you enter pre-school. xoxo