BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 13, 2011

We were so off track - but now we're on!

Let me start this by saying that Riley has been potty training since March of LAST year! The reason I say this is because it has been one frustrating year when it comes to the potty. I think what has made it so frustrating is that when Riley first began training, she seemed to take to it very naturally. She had 1-2 successful pee pees on the potty almost daily. Of course when she began training, she was only 19 months old - still very young.

Because Jeremy and I are working parents it was difficult to really dedicate time to training. Even the weekends are difficult because we like to spend time out doing things as a family. We never really planned to stress the potty training thing until after her 2nd birthday. Of course after her 2nd birthday was when she had to have surgery and HAD to wear a diaper. This surgery truly did set us back. So we decided that we would put it on hold completely, let her go when she wanted to and start training again after the holidays.

We did just that - but Riley developed a fear of pooping on the potty. I don't think we'll ever know why, she just did. She would wear underwear on the weekends and got really good at telling us when she had to go - but when it came to having to poop she begged and pleaded for a diaper or just went regardless of what she was wearing. We were told by the doctor that we have no control over when she decides to use the potty all the time. While I believe and respect that on some level, my personality says "bring it on." I do believe we have no control, but I also believe that if we keep positively reinforcing the potty she will see it's not so bad!

Yesterday we had her go through the house and find all of the diapers. She found every last one. We had her put them in a bag and made a sign that said "FOR THE BABIES." We explained that the "Diaper Fairy" would come and take her diapers away to give to the babies that needed them. For giving up her diapers she would be given a small gift. This idea worked so well for us with giving up the pacifiers - that I truly believed that it would work well for us with the diapers.

Riley did fantastic! We even went out shopping and she wore underwear with no accidents. We did buy training pants for nighttime. But I explained to Riley that they were training pants (I didn't call them Pull-Ups) and I even put them in a different place so that there is no association that they are "just like diapers." While I know we are at the very beginning, I also feel like we are close to the end on the potty training bit. I also feel confident that her teachers at school will help me follow through on this!! I am sad to see my baby growing up - but I am happy that we are officially a diaper free household (until the next one comes along of course).

Getting rid of all of her diapers - she was so good about it

Making a sign "FOR THE BABIES"

Meet "Grapie" the newest stuffed animal. Riley chose Grapie as her gift for giving her diapers away.

2 comments:

Mommy Decker said...

You know how I feel about potty training - HATED IT!!

But I promise that once she gets it totally you almost forget the struggle.

Our girls are just like their mommies, they don't do anything they don't wanna do. Ha!!

PS - Why are both our kids obsessed with all things stuffed?? ;)

juh-juh said...

Way to go Riley!! I predict by Wed. that Riley will be totally trained, poop and all!!!